with: Klaus WehnerKlaus Wehner, PhD:
Real, Old, New Berliner, continuous enthusiastic explorer of the city and Berlin city tours, Berlin-Lover und Founder of kontext.Berlin
I am a visual artist and have worked as an art teacher in London for many years before moving to Berlin. Hence, presenting city tours comes quite natural to me. I am an art, art-history and history enthusiast and have worked for several different tour opeartors in Berlin before setting up this site. I still continuously discover new and interesting details about Berlin and I love to pass these on during my tours.
- approx. 2 hours | 2 km to walk
- private tours from 110€ for up to 4 people
(further tickets: 11€ pp)
We will take the U5 from Brandenburger Tor to Museumsinsel, so a ticket for this short ride is necessary.
Karl Friedrich Schinkel is known as Germany's most influential and innovative architects of the 19th Century and beyond. It is a happy fact, that many of his most important buildings can be found within a relatively small area of Berlin's historic center. The tour presents some basic details of Schinkel's life and career. When looking at his architecture, the innovative architectural aspects are explained in context of the importance of the buildings and their function for the history of Berlin and Germany.
- Meeting point: Brandenburger Tor
- U-Bahnhof 'Museumsinsel'
- Neue Wache
- Altes Museum
- Schinkels Neuauslegung des Lustgartens inklusive seiner Änderungen am alten Dom
- Friedrichswerdersche Kirche (je nach Tageszeit der Tour wird diese kurz besucht)
- Schauspielhaus (heute Konzerthaus) am Gendarmenmarkt